Location: London, UK
Employment type: Temporary (3 - 6 months)
Ably is the world’s fastest Data Stream Network (DSN) spread over 14 data centers and 175+ points of presence. Each day we stream billions of realtime messages to millions of end-users for thousands of developers around the world. Some of the things our platform powers: HubSpot’s chat and collaboration products, live score updates for millions of Australian Open tennis fans, live transit updates for three million Chicagoans. Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure that will power and shape the future of the internet.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at www.ably.io/careers.
In this role
We’re looking for a developer/engineer/tech writer on a temporary basis (approx 3 months) who can fuel our content pipeline with editorial content about core technologies, APIs, frameworks and protocols.
This role does not focus primarily on ‘writing’ content, but instead the outsourcing and co-ordination of technical content to agencies and freelancers. The main responsibility is to write in-depth technical briefs based on a content calendar as well as the review and proof-reading before technical content is being published on our website.
This is an amazing opportunity for someone with deep technical understanding. The person we’re looking for has worked or worked alongside developers and engineers and is familiar with topics like APIs, back-end and front-end frameworks, and feels comfortable with deeply technical concepts and reading simple code.
Day to day, you will:
- Participate in forming and executing the content creation at Ably
- Suggesting and contributing content topics and manage article creation and publicization with freelancers and third-party agencies.
- Write technical briefs for third-party writers (themes like concepts, frameworks, protocols).
- Proof-read and review produced content by agencies and provide feedback/guidance.
- Writing technical content when time permits.
Must have skills and experience:
- Experience or involvement on producing content for a developer audience across topics like APIs, back-end frameworks, front-end frameworks etc.
- You should have an interest in and have a deep understanding of technology in general and engineering concepts such as how APIs work, cloud computing, high-level understanding of how modern apps function
- Know and understand developers, developer ecosystems, and how they buy, consume and develop products
- Not afraid of using trivial code examples, and be comfortable reading simple code examples
- Freelance coordination: must have had experience managing a team of freelancers and outsourcing content to third party agencies
- Managing a content calendar
- Ability to move quickly, validate the content you’ve created (or had created), and iterate to find the perfect performance-based solution
- You take initiative, keep organized, and can handle multiple projects at once
Nice to have:
- Academic qualifications, ideally with an engineering / software development background.
- Experience working in a technical / software / developer facing company.
- Social Media presence / influence.
- Published blog articles on popular sites.
- Experience as a Content Marketing Manager.