Since 2005, over 300,000 websites have used Crazy Egg to understand how their audience experiences their website and their products. We are pioneers in data visualization, in conversion rate optimization, and in helping small and medium businesses get immense value quickly and accurately from incredibly large data sets. That's what we love to do. We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help build on that foundation and improve our product, and the tools, technology and platform we use to help our customers.
You will be joining Crazy Egg as a Senior Backend Engineer. We are currently migrating from Ruby to Elixir for many of our systems and utilizing the latest AWS infrastructure services. Here's what that looks like at Crazy Egg, and here are the values you’d be excited to stand behind:
- Direct, undeniable, customer impact. We have incredible customers that we're grateful for and we believe the best teammates are the ones who, regardless of function or discipline, are eager and excited to find a way to connect their work directly to customers.
- Trusted independence with interdependence. You are fully trusted as a full owner of the work you do; self-determined, responsible, accountable, and celebrated. With that freedom, you acknowledge, a broader social context. We work together, we partner, we collaborate, and we make sure the work we take on and hand off is done thoughtfully and with care. With an all-remote team every team member must be senior level.
- Assume positive intent. All outcomes may not be what we desired, what we expected, or what we needed. But they happened because people take chances and are willing to make decisions. We assume people try their hardest and try their best, we assume their actions started with the most positive of intentions. Every conversation, assessment, piece of feedback, starts with that assumption, on both sides. This ensures our team is built on a foundation of trust.
- Care and inclusion; sincerely. We work at Crazy Egg because we believe in the opportunity, we believe in the vision, we believe in our people, and we believe in our ability to build something wonderful. It is those beliefs that also mean we care about the market, we care about the vision, we care about each other, and we care about building something wonderful. When all of this falls into place, our customers are able to build better businesses and succeed.
As an engineer what we hope you strive for:
- The ability to work independently and with other engineers to develop new user experience-focused web applications, or provide support for existing systems.
- Have the ability to work on multiple parts of a web application, from internal backend APIs to dynamic frontend interfaces. Although this position is focused on the backend and infrastructure a familiarity with frontend technologies (React and Ember) is a definitive bonus.
- Collaborate with other engineers, stakeholders, clients, designers, and frontend specialists to understand business goals, analyze requirements, formulate solutions, and ensure the successful execution and delivery of the end product using the best technologies.
- Assist in scoping, estimating, and planning of projects.
- Support of production applications. Our teams are feature-based and are fully responsible for designing, developing, launching, and supporting their given feature.
Experience and Skills we’re looking for:
- Senior-level experience developing web applications and APIs. We have multiple applications written in Ruby (both Sinatra and Rails), but our core applications are currently being rewritten in Elixir (Phoenix).
- Senior-level experience using AWS and other infrastructure services, specifically Docker, Kubernetes, RDBMSs (MySQL + PostgreSQL), NoSQL DBs, and Git.
- Excellent planning, communication and collaboration skills.
- Understanding of best practices for web development and software design.
Nice to have, but not required experience:
- Prior experience developing internal tools, such as internal metrics or reporting.
- Prior experience in developing single page applications. We use Ember.js, but we are migrating to React.
- Experience with GraphQL, Data Dog and Terraform all pluses, but not required
- Previous remote working experience
- Prior client services, consulting, or freelancing experience
- Working in a startup environment
- Previous role as a team leader
- Working on web applications that process large volumes of data and/or receive high volumes of traffic
We believe in building the best team possible, regardless of geographic location. Our team is fully distributed all over the world and we believe in working where you’re the most productive and happiest.
We have full trust in you and believe in finding a good balance. Work should be a marathon, not a sprint. Our all-remote team allows you the flexibility to build the life you want. If you want to have lunch with your significant other every day, take a weekday off to go visit a friend, take a break to play with your kid, walk your dog or go to the gym in the afternoon, head to the beach to hit the best surf time, relocate to another country for a few months - those are all easy to do at Crazy Egg.
We provide full benefits of dental/medical.
Crazy Egg was founded 14 years ago by accomplished founders. The original engineers who built the first version of Crazy Egg are still here and are actively involved. Both of those should give you great peace of mind about the sustainability and quality of the work environment at Crazy Egg.